Thursday, September 19, 2013

Eureka!!! Humboldt Gardens at The College of the Redwoods, June 13, 2013

It is a beautiful drive along the California PCH. It amazes me that we see bicyclists along these narrow roads, up and down hills, and know that one of our cousins, Ben Nyblade, made the trip. We were pretty excited about arriving in EUREKA!!! and staying in the historical Eureka Inn.
Construction on the road in the woods.
Generators ran the stoplights!
Historic Eureka Inn

Light in the ballroom.
Lobby.
Remember the old phone booths?
Fireplace in the lobby. It was cool in June.
Antique jewelry glued to modern
plastic forms. I bought the
green butterfly with cameo in the
center. I've enjoyed wearing it.
These can be cherries, tomatoes, or apples!
College of the Redwoods.
Humboldt Botanical Garden
http://hbgf.org/

As I drove in, there was a small trailer,
rows and rows of flowers and the
greenhouse in the distance 
The flowers are planted to compliment
and coordinate the colors.

Rose Garden
Very dark purple, a beautiful rose.

Purple.
Geranium 'Rozanne' Rozanne Cranesbill.

Pretty red flowers.
Here, the red is across from the blue.
And then the yellow.

Yellow up close.

Pinks?

I don't know.


Up close.

How they grew.


There are many more, this is just a sample.
I've never seen a hemlock tree!
Add caption



On the next level and different garden, it was set more in the woods.
They were planting more of these.
Close up.
An artist designed these rows
made out of buttons on a wire.
One lane went down. I took the top
lane and looked down on that garden.
Dogwood.
I wish I had written down what kind.
Dogwood up close.

California Poppies.
I'm trying to show you the seed pods.
Paths without rails.

Paths with rails.


Traveling higher and higher.
Always amazed at flowers that grow in the street.
Passed a beautiful meadow.
See how high I am?
Raspberries.
I've picked lots of blackberries, but not these.
Lookout point, not the right path for me.
Another detour, no, not here.
My first glimpse of the labyrinth.
It's more a mound than a labyrinth.
Wow!
The same feeling as in a Cathedral.
 As I was approaching, an eagle was swooping down and checking it out. By the time I got my camera out, it was gone. It would have taken a movie to catch it.
Going IN.
Going OUT.
The walk circled around and around instead of loops.
The path graduated smaller as it got taller.
A slat of wood held the ground and the grass in place.
If you look closely, there are little mounds of dirt along the slats.
Perhaps some little ground animal? Moles maybe?
Ah Ha! That's what the eagle was looking for!!!!!
I found a feather and have kept it, I hope its not against the law.
The long road back down. I believe
it's about a mile up and a mile down
and a mile around the Labyrinth.
As I leaving, I was rewarded by this deer
grazing in the grass and it wasn't even
bothered by my presence in the car.

No comments:

Post a Comment