Monday, March 11, 2013

San Diego Mission Part 2 Inside

I stepped into the side door into this large sanctuary and it took my breath away!
I never expected it to be so long and so beautiful and so holy. Well, yes, I did expect the holy.
Looking from the back.
Looking to the back.
Notice the painted ceiling!
The 14 Stations of the Cross
are copies of the originals.
Closer to the altar and you
can see the canopy which
identifies this mission as a
basilica, an honor bestowed
upon a church by the pope.
A candle for my son Charles.
He would have been 46 today.
He committed suicide in 1986.
The scallop over the door is a
liturgical symbol of baptism.
It is also used by some pilgrims.

The chapel or "Capilla"
 was more the size
I was expecting.

I hope you can see the animal faces
on the ends of the beams.
Casa de los Padres
I've learned that 4th graders have
to make a model mission as
required by California's schools.

No comments:

Post a Comment