Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Silent Retreat Fullerton, CA Feb 15-17, 2013

I've missed several opportunities to go to a silent retreat in Marywood Retreat Center in Fruit Cove, so I was delighted to find this Lenten Catholic Pro Sanctity Retreat in Fullerton, CA. It's right behind St. Benizi Catholic Church and although the retreat center had it's own chapel, I went to mass on Monday morning before I left. My whole soul is drawn to St. Benizi. The pronunciation is almost Benitze, it sings on my tongue and in my head. I'm still not certain how it is connected to Loyola University but it is.
We had scheduled talks of spiritual direction given by lay people and then time to be silent. We could stay in the chapel or go anywhere around the grounds. We were encouraged to write, pray, read spiritual material or contemplate on one of the Stations of the Cross. The hardest time for me was mealtimes. I so wanted to know about the people there. But, no, I ate in silence as we all did. I have to admit I did cheat a little and went on-line and spoke on the phone. Two people who are friends of my friends died and so I gave myself permission to call my friends. I lit candles at St. Benizi Mass for the deceased.
After being silent for 2 days and nights, we were asked to share what we learned during the weekend!!! Can you believe it, I couldn't break the silence and share!!! What I heard was how helpful the retreat had been for those who cannot share in a group. I was blessed this whole weekend and had some powerful discussions with God. We're pretty good friends, you know.

First I got a haircut.
This neighborhood is Korean.

Souplantation is part of Sweet Tomatoes,
complete with tomatoes on the carpet!
St. Benizi


Needs no caption



Chapel of 6 pews and
lots of prayers!
Carpenter made
of wood.
Pro Sanctity Center
and my car.

My meditation.
Inside St. Benizi

There were four of
these beautiful windows.
As we were leaving, a nun commented
that the trees in the neighborhood look
like they are reaching their arms to God.
I looked with new eyes and a new heart.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you did this. I wish I had been with you. Mary Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I miss our morning devotions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sure wish I could do something like this. Sounds very comforting and spiritual. How busy we are all the time and always communicating to everyone and everything except God....
    Barb

    ReplyDelete