Monday, March 11, 2013

San Diego Mission Part 1 Outside March 6, 2013

First California Mission founded by Fr. Serra in 1769, the first of many missions along the coast of California. As it happened, it is also the first mission I'm visiting.
From the street view.
San Diego de Alcala'
I was amazed at these blooms!
I remember the plant from when
we lived in California, but not
the blooms.
I couldn't believe how large
 these Aloe Trees are!
A kind tourist took my photo.
Always archeology digs going on. 



A beautiful fountain and grove
in the back parking lot. There
was a metal Pieta' but my camera
didn't cooperate with the sun.

The  Kumeyaay American Indians lived here
during the mission days and built this 'Ewaa,
a home made from willow trees. The adobe
oven had a chameleon sunning himself on top.
This cactus has so many
thorns it looked fuzzy!
A good explanation of the Roof Restoration Project.
I don't know if you can see the large screw in the beam
as it's in the shadow.
In the courtyard behind the bells.
Love this statue. All the
statues had real flowers.
St. Francis is standing
on a water fountain.
Interesting grist mill wheels.
I was peacefully making my
way around the courtyard,
engrossed in taking my photographs,
and just happened to be right under
the bells when they began to ring.
Look carefully on the lower left bell and
you will see a man ringing the noon bells.
He wore ear protection like they wear
on carrier decks!

No comments:

Post a Comment