Monday, April 1, 2013

Julian, California Part 1 March 7 - 8, 2013

Weather forecast a possible storm coming to Southern California, so I bought warmer clothes and decided to go to Julian two nights early and stay near the Episcopal Church Woman's Retreat which will be at the Episcopal Diocean Camp Stevens. Julian is higher than 4,000 ft. elevation, thus many curvy roads to get there. I went out I-8 west and took US 79 north. My car groaned going up the steep incline and I hung on to the wheel with both hands going around the curve after curve after curve. After miles and miles, I came across the lake of a small dam and it was a gem in the middle of the rough. 
I have adopted a new saying, the thing I fear the most has the most rewards.
First stop was for some apple pie!
This is not in the town of Julian
itself, but nearby in St. Ysabel,
think Y pronounced as I.
There is another place in Julian that
was crowded. I really lucked out.
This is on the road from St. Ysabel to Julian.
The lines were out the door and down the street in
Julian's "Moms". I bought apple cider here.
I missed the sign going west, but
easy to see going east.

A path led from the house to the highway
 and this rock. As I perched on top I meditated
 and thought of Rev. Mary Busse's rock where
she learned "to be" during her sabbatical as
 she shared it with us in her book,
 "Hermitage, Olive Grove, Village".
The labyrinth has suffered some
damage, so the owner is planning
to restore it with native plants.
However, I walked it anyway.
One of the two houses of
Labyrinth in the Oaks. I was
upstairs. It was like a condo and a
wonderful place for a couple or a
family to stay, close to Julian.

About a block behind the main
street of Julian. It's small and I
needed reservations. What a
wonderful delight!!!!

I hope you can see the
little cozy on the
teacup on the left.
One of many displays.

Anything you need
to make tea!!!!
I loved the strawberries!

And the lilac.

On the way to Camp Stevens, I
stopped at Mountain Beadworks!

An employee painted the walls.
Every wall and table were filled.
Mountain Beadworks is part of the
The 3/50 Project,
saving small family owned businesses.

         
Trays
I was fascinated by the
Right Angle Weave
of the 2" cross.
Vintage Czech Glass

I picked out a blue and white bracelet that was a few
beads too long. It didn't take but a few minutes and
it fit just right! Thank you to the owner.

As I got into the car, it started snowing and I started praying!
It's about 10 miles to Camp Stevens through Julian,
around many curves and up and up and up. The sign
says, "snow tires required past here". Needless to say
I don't have snow tires, so I prayed some more and made it!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment