Sunday, April 14, 2013

Holy Spirit Retreat Center for Holy Week March 24-31, 2013

When I signed up for this Holy Week Retreat, I did not know it was a quiet week. The quiet weekend  in Fullerton the first weekend of Lent helped prepare me for a whole week. I fought it internally the first two days, then surrendered to the prayer, meditation and readings and found joy.
I also did not know the Spiritual Leader would be a published New Testament Scholar whose daily sessions brought insights and understanding of the Passion, especially in the Gospel of John. Fr. Felix from Orange, CA helped us not get hung up in 'either or' but to accept 'both and' in so much of scripture. I did buy some of his CDs and I will share then when I return home.
The Holy Spirit Retreat Center is run by the Sisters of Social Services. The grounds are so beautiful and peaceful as you will be able to see some of it in my photos.
I parked in front of this fence and
was welcomed by sweet smelling
jasmine.

The buildings are new and modern.
Looking from the Chapel
to the Dining Room
My room was at the end
of this row. These orange
flowers were along all the rooms.
This hedge of white roses
lined the center walkway.
They are full of buds and I
was sure they would all bloom
on Easter, but they didn't.
I found white is very hard
to photograph.
The bell is christened "Pax" and
was cast in 1889.
The cook staff called us to meals
using the mallet, not the clapper,
with mandatory ear protection!

This was my walk to classes. I could
go down stairs, the wheelchair ramp
or the path.
It took several days to get a photo
of the dew sparkling on the
ornamental grasses. I think this would
make a good jigsaw puzzle!
I'm not sure what kind of sweet gum
this is with the balls in a row
rather than separate?
Or what conifer this is?
Close up of the orange flowers
Close up of the bush in front
of the Holy Spirit SSS sign
Looking out of the chapel.
We were introduced to the
art of John August Swanson.
His father is Swedish, his mother
is Mexican and both are
reflected in his art.
Wow!




I couldn't capture the beautiful
curves of the front walls, the lights,
hung at differing lengths on the ceiling
 or the stained glass on the sides.
This Holy Spirit Dove
 is the tiny square between two
giant walls.

This dove was in
the dining room.


In the anteroom of the chapel.



A Path to Creative Spirit
Treasurers. I had no
idea where this would lead
me on my walking meditation.
Behind our meeting room

A pond! Kelly's Pond
Complete with ducks sunning
on the rocks. Sorry to disturb you!

Paths and stairs to quiet places
so perfect for meditation.
And more

And more.
One had two benches
and St. Francis
And a row of Peace Lillies.
A bank of Aloe that was not a tree.

I haven't shown how plentiful
 the Bird of Paradise
is all around So. Calif.
Instead of going up,
this quiet place went down.
These photos were around the pond. The next photos are in a garden behind Holy Spirit Retreat Center and the Additional Parking Lot.
Isn't this a welcome place to
sit and just "be"?
I love this statue.
American Indian Peace Circle
A special planting of Orchids
More seating and more choices
of paths.
Peace
on
Earth
Back side
more
Languages













What a clever idea to save
the dripping water and use it!
I saw a rubber ducky on the trail, didn't
realize it was one of St. Francis' flock!
Contrast of ancient
with modern.
What a surprise!
What an Angel!
Will add this to my power point presentation on trees. These
can be the end of the garden walk OR the beginning. <smile>
Wish I could have seen this
in full bloom.
This photo doesn't do justice to
this beautiful plant.
The top of the sacred garden. How tall the palms.
From the additional parking lot.

Easy to tell this is an
orange blossom!
Strange tree over the road on the
way back to the Retreat Center.
I found the flowers go to sleep
at night.
Holy Spirit Retreat Center from
the back is still beautiful.

Short path through
these funny grasses.
And up the stairs to the
Office.
I felt I was kept warm in a loving womb and was fed physically, emotionally, mentally, and spiritually this week. It was a beautiful experience.

1 comment: