Sunday, May 5, 2013

Getty Villa February 21 and The Getty Museum April 11, 2013

I missed posting about The Getty Villa that I went to with my cousin Cynthia in February, so I will include both of them here.

The Getty Villa is in Pacific Palisades and has The Getty Collection of Antiquities. The landscape uses Mediterranean architecture and gardens. To me, it helps the statues feel at home. LOL.
They have ancient plays in this
beautiful amphitheater.
The stage and entrance into the museum.

Cynthia among the row of Goddesses.
Her favorite room. I like to think
she is one of the goddesses.
Hercules, students
and an amazing floor.
My favorite fountain.
I've forgotten the name of
this unusual plant.

That's me behind a screen.
The heads do not have faces on
this tomb to be completed when sold.

The signature sculpture.
Since this was in February,
this garden is not very green.
My first experience seeing
papyrus growing. 
I'm proud of the photograph as there is one in the
book very similar. If it's a clear day, standing where
I took this photo and if you turn around, you can
see the Pacific Ocean.
The Getty Art Museum is downtown Los Angeles and Clara and I went on several freeways to get there. It took longer than I expected, but we got there with only one freeway scare merging into traffic. I was not prepared for how different the two Gettys are. The museum is modern to the max, high on several mountains, multiple buildings and many gardens. Thank heavens for the docents that were at every corner. The six floor underground parking garage was an adventure. LOL
From the parking garage
to the Entrance.


It was very windy
and a beautiful day.



Looking over the edge, the gardens
have this twisted sidewalk and you
can see the other Getty buildings

There were several of these
unusual fountains.

While we waited for the free tour, we
found this project where kids took the
photos and the artist put them together.
This project was to capture faces
in the museum.
This is our guide who led a long
discussion Van Gogh's White Iris,
the only original Van Gogh in the Getty.
While they were going on and on
about the White Iris, I found this
unusual  painting with no eyes.
We are allowed to photograph
if the camera doesn't flash.
We stopped at this painting. He
told us that it's the most sold postcard
in the gift shop. Clara bought one.

This statue is made of wood
to look like marble.

David and Bathsheba, the
original "Desperate Housewife".

Oriental wall hangings adorned
all four walls.

My favorite Van Gogh on a coaster.
They were too heavy to buy.
On our way back to the parking lot,
we found these unusual blooms.

Clara and I loved this horse.
And were dumbfounded by this
statue of mother and babe.

No comments:

Post a Comment