Monday, July 15, 2013

St. Ines Mission, Solvang, CA May 1, 2013

Leaving Carmarillo, I'm heading north past Santa Barbara to a tiny town set in the hills away from the coast, saw a sign to Solvang and took it. When I realized it was the longer way to get there, I stayed the course and was rewarded with a beautiful large lake tucked away in the hills. I'm getting the hang of these mountain roads and beginning to enjoy taking the curves.
Solvang (Danish for 'sunny field') is a beautiful little city nestled in the Santa Ynez Valley of California. Founded in 1911 by a small group of Danish teachers, Solvang now is a diverse, modern city, with fine restaurants, lovely shops and outstanding activities to enchant young and old alike.There are Danish festivals, quiet tree lined streets, horse drawn wagons, Hans Christian Andersen Park, windmills, Danish pastries and dozens of quaint shops to explore.
Mission Santa Ines was created in
1804 and is in the center of Solvang.
The hills I came over (or overcame LOL)
Music and Liturgy
Tools of all sorts
A very fancy Mary
Fr. Serra
Looking in.
Looking out.
Mary
Baskets for offering.
In the back courtyard
Beautiful arbor
St. Francis
And the Wolf  of Gubbio

This story I want to find.

Saint Francis of Assisi taming the wolf of Gubbio is a legend and model for conflict resolution and peacemaking.
Where I ate lunch
And shopped several antique shops
Very Scandinavian to put the blue plates on the walls.
My lunch. Note the cutting
board hanging on the wall.
Mama had one like it.

And dessert!!!!



On the way out of town, I wanted a coke and the GPS took me far off the main highway. Back in the car, I put Cambria in the GPS and lo and behold, I was on the small highway that went to where I needed to be!!! I felt blessed in more ways than one on this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment